- Start: October 28, 2018 2:00 pm
- End: October 28, 2018 4:00 pm
“The world of humanity has two wings—one is women and the other men. Not until both wings are equally developed can the bird fly. Should one wing remain weak, flight is impossible.” In the spirit of these words, we invite you to the next in our series of Soul Food inspirational events: Two Wings.
- Soul Food is a monthly event mixing music, poetry, prose and imagery. It features readings from diverse faiths, philosophers, authors, leaders and Indigenous cultures.
- The aim of Soul Food is to bring people of different backgrounds together to reflect upon inspiring themes and common threads that bind them together.
- The theme of this month’s Soul Food event is Two Wings – an exploration of the principle of equality between women and men, and how its true establishment can transform the inequalities of the world.
- Our guest performers will be Conway, a young sister and brother duo featuring Emily and Thomas Conway of St. John’s.
- The program will run from 2 – 3 p.m. on Sunday, Oct. 28, at the Landing. Refreshments and good conversation will follow.
Visions of Equality
The equality of men and women is one of the major principles of the Bahá’í Faith, and so too is the Oneness of Religion. That is, Bahá’ís believe that all the world’s major religions are inspired by God. And each has, in one form or another, asserted the equal value of women and men in the eyes of God.
In that spirit, this month’s Soul Food inspirational session will explore the equality of men and women – and how its true establishment can transform the inequalities of the world.
The event will feature writings from Judaism, Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism and the Bahá’í Faith, as well as from other sources – all related to the equality of men and women.
Soul Food is a monthly event designed to unite people over inspiring themes and common threads that bind them together. It aims to create a welcoming and celebratory atmosphere.
In that vein, music is an essential part of Soul Food. This month’s guest performers are Conway – the sister and brother duo of Emily and Thomas Conway of St. John’s. These young siblings beautifully manifest in their Irish Newfoundland music how male and female can complement each other.
Following the program, we invite guests to join us for refreshments and a chance to discuss the program in a relaxed atmosphere.
Soul Food: Two Wings will begin at 2 p.m. Sunday, Oct. 28, at the Landing (Room 3018, University Centre, MUN, 1 Arctic Ave.)
Admission is free, and all are welcome.
Soul Food is sponsored by the Bahá’í community of St. John’s.